What we love about luxury rail experiences–from anywhere in the world–is how they put a nation on display. Every time the train comes around another curve, you have your breath taken away by another stunning view visible only from the lap of luxury on board the train.
Tren Crucero, Ecuador’s most famous luxury rail experience, is a perfect example of a train that offers one-of-a-kind views for every second of the journey, but they don’t stop there: Beyond the serene landscapes, Tren Crucero puts Ecuador’s vibrant cultures on display. And, luckily for passengers, Tren Crucero knows that culture is best experienced through the stomach, so they serve up the most authentic and mouth-watering Ecuadorian cuisine for the entire trip.
One staple of Ecuadorian eating is locro de papa, a potato and cheese soup served as a first-course with meals. While it is a favorite food throughout the country, the precise recipe changes from city to city and kitchen to kitchen as each cook personalizes it to their own style or taste. You can enjoy a traditional locro de papa by following the recipe below, which we found at Laylita.com!
- 10 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into large and small pieces
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp achiote powder (Ground annatto seed)
- 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves only, minced
- 1 cup grated or crumbled cheese (Quesillo, queso fresco, monterrey jack, or mozzarella)
- 1 cup milk
- 7 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of queso fresco, feta, or grated mozzarella
- Maiz tostado (Cancha corn nuts)
- Chopped cilantro and green onions
- Avocados, sliced or diced
- Aji (Hot sauce)
For instructions on how to complete this essential Ecuadorian meal, visit Laylita’s recipe blog!
And to book a trip on board Tren Crucero and experience delicious dishes like this one and all of Ecuador’s treasures, click here!